Re: output-device ID?

Hartwig Atrops wrote:
Hmmm ...

Weird behaviour.

First. Lenny is installed on the Blade, text mode ok.

output-device now set to /pci@1f,0/pci@5/display@0

One monitor connected to the onboard VGA port, one to the additional PCI card.

PCI Card from x86 world.

VT420 Terminal attached to the serial port.

During boot both monitors stay dark - no signal. SILO prompt appears on the terminal.

After SILO took over, the onboard graphics is switched on, boot messages appear on that line - and on the terminal.

But: only part of the boot messages is displayed on that monitor, part on the terminal. I cannot say weather some of the boot messages appear on both lines.

In the end, login prompts appear on the onboard graphics and on the terminal. I can login via USB keyboard and via terminal.

The output of the PCI card stays dark all the time.

Do I somehow need to configure Linux so it uses the PCI card? I never had two graphics cards in one system before.

Regards,

   Hartwig

Can you try it again with "setenv output-device screen" instead of the
PCI path and then compare how the boot behavior differs?

What I'm guessing is happening is that the Sun is trying to use the PCI
graphics card as the boot console, but then it's giving up and falling back to serial after it decides that it doesn't know how to deal with the PCI card...

Once you're booted into linux you shouldn't have to worry about OBP
any longer since linux has its own idea of which PCI cards are supported.
The major concern with OBP being that you don't want to get stuck in a
situation where the machine doesn't boot properly and at the same time
not being able to see the console in order to repair it.

My background is mostly from the Solaris side of things, but I'm sure
there are other folks on this list that can provide you with some expert
hints on what to do next once your machine is booted into linux. Having
multiple display cards in a single workstation is definitely supported by
linux. It's just a matter of configuring things so that the displays work the
way that you want them to. If you want to try to merge the two physical
displays into a single large virtual display, doing a google search for
"xinerama" will yield quite a bit of useful info.

Hope the info helps.

-Brian