Re: debian unusable on niagara

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 09:55:11AM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > Sure, it would probably be better for you if they adjusted to your own
> > development model, and relied on you for every change that they want done,
> > and didn't object to any of your recommendations, but it's free software,
> > they choose to do things bit differently, what with all the separate lists,
> > BTS, installer, and ultimately separate users.
>
> I never said that they need to run every change they want to
> do past me, that would be rediclious.
>
> Read what I actually said.

You said that he didn't ask you to test that kernel on your Niagaras,
instead he let the Niagara user who contacted Debian via BTS test the
change. Well, that part wasn't particularly strange to me - had the user
actually reported back in time, and had someone followed up on it. I can't
say my first impulse would have been to bother you - it seems needless, when
there's already one person seemingly available to test - the same one who
reported it. The bug log indicates that there were several reporters,
actually.

I agree that it would be much better if Jurij (or anyone else for that
matter) remembered to ask you (or anyone else with that hardware and the
capacity to test for that matter) to test. But he's not the best target for
rebuke, because he clearly spent some effort (even if ultimately mistaken),
which wasn't reciprocated by user testing; everyone else watching could have
noticed it and intervened (and that didn't require much skill either).

The practical fix for this problem is not simply to criticize the people who
already contribute for not contributing enough or well enough, but instead
to get more people involved in handling the issues, so I explained how to do
that. If you yourself aren't available for that, that's just fine, the same
information went to all other list subscribers, so anyone else who wants to
volunteer is welcome.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.