Re: Sun serial terminal

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 18:14 -0500, Brian Thompson wrote:
> mike wrote:
> > I'm doing a serial port install on a Sun e220r using a db25 to rj45
> > adapter and then an rj45 to db9 adapter (with a cat-6 cable in between).
> > Does anyone know what speed the serial port on the client needs to be
> > set to?
> >
> > Right now I'm using these settings:
> > TERM= /dev/ttyS0
> > Speed= 9600
> > parity = none
> > 8-bits with 1 stopbit
> > no flow control
> >
> > Thanks much for help
> >

> By default those are the correct settings. That cable setup probably
> needs a null modem
> adapter at one end though if the db25 and db9 adapters that you're using
> are the standard
> silver ones with a Sun part number on them. Or, you can try recrimping a
> RJ45 cable that,
> instead of straight through, has conductors 3 and 6 swapped at one end.
>
> -Brian

I'm going to get a commercial DB25->DB9 connector and use my null modem
cable. The DB25->RJ-45 connector seems to be jerry-rigged from Ebay and
the other one is from my IT instructor for CISCO routers. Though I did
note that the serial ports were set up for RS-432 operation instead of
232.

Thanks,
Michael

--