two questions...

a)

Has anyone had any success with disabling/blacklisting a
kernel module? The Debian docs show the following but
it's not working for me on 2.6.18-6-sparc64... The module
still loads.

Sometimes two different modules claim support for the same device, usually because two slightly different versions of the device exist, requiring different kernel modules to operate. In such situation udev loads both kernel modules, with unpredictable results. To avoid this problem, you can prevent any module (let's say, tulip) from loading by creating an arbitrarily named file, containing a line

     blacklist tulip

b)

I'm having difficulty making use of Seagate disks originally
shipped from Sun with Solaris installed. Up until now I've
simply swapped them out with non-Sun disks, but I now
have a growing stack of  Sun/Seagate hard disks that I
would prefer to make use of if possible. I've already tried
using Seagate's SeaTools utility to zero out the entire hard
disk and "fdisk /mbr" to replace the master boot record
with a DOS mbr. Still no luck...

Any advice on either of the above issues would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian