Re: preventing that a module is being loaded

Op 20081026 om 19:19 schreef Brian Thompson:
> Has anyone had any success with disabling/blacklisting a
> kernel module? The Debian docs show the following but
> it's not working for me on 2.6.18-6-sparc64... The module
> still loads.

It was a long time ago that I succesfull blacklisted a kernel module.

>> Sometimes two different modules claim support for the same device,
>> usually because two slightly different versions of the device exist,
>> requiring different kernel modules to operate. In such situation udev
>> loads both kernel modules, with unpredictable results. To avoid this
>> problem, you can prevent any module (let's say, tulip) from loading by
>> creating an arbitrarily named file, containing a line
>>
>>      blacklist tulip

That doc doesn't tell the full path of the "black list file"

Being curious about the full path, I searched on system here available
and found /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

It didn't contain module names I had add myself, so now
I'm curious if /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist works for the original poster.

Cheers
Geert Stappers