Re: two questions...

Brian Thompson wrote:

Has anyone had any success with disabling/blacklisting a
kernel module? The Debian docs show the following but
it's not working for me on 2.6.18-6-sparc64... The module
still loads.

With a custom kernel I've ended up identifying and deleting the offending module- the system seems to be resilient to simply renaming them. I think that for an off-the-shelf Debian (or any other system that uses an initrd) you'll need to rebuild the initrd.

I'm having difficulty making use of Seagate disks originally
shipped from Sun with Solaris installed. Up until now I've
simply swapped them out with non-Sun disks, but I now
have a growing stack of  Sun/Seagate hard disks that I
would prefer to make use of if possible. I've already tried
using Seagate's SeaTools utility to zero out the entire hard
disk and "fdisk /mbr" to replace the master boot record
with a DOS mbr. Still no luck...

Try putting the discs in a Linux system and using Linux's fdisk to write a Sun disklabel. At least some versions of the SPARC kernel refuse to recognise a completely-blank disc.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk