Re: Lenny on Ultra 60

On 2008-03-03, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> > #
> > snd-sun-cs4231
> > snd-pcm-oss
> >  -----------------------------------
>
> On a U10 with "Etch" I added the first of those manually which was enough to
> get sound working. Similar tinkering on the U60 hasn't had any beneficial
> effect: the modules are loaded but KNotify puts up a dialog(ue) saying arts
> can't be initialised. I've not tried forcing this into initrd but I don't
> think I had to do anything like that on the U10.

I'm now running testing, vmlinuz-2.6.22-3-sparc64-smp on the U60.
I installed alsa-utils and ran alsaconf, but didn't write to
/etc/modprobe.d/. With only snd-sun-cs4231 in /etc/modules, lsmod
looks like this:

Module                  Size  Used by
snd_sun_cs4231         23568  0
snd_pcm_oss            52512  0
snd_mixer_oss          21056  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                92108  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              28496  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm
snd                    65248  5 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,
                                snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11408  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         14416  2 snd_sun_cs4231,snd_pcm

and ls -l /dev/dsp* like so:

crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2008-03-04 13:13 /dev/dsp

Sound seems to be working well as before using aumix or alsamixer
and ogg123, mplayer, vlc, etc.

Frankly, I don't know anything about 'KNotify' and 'arts'.

> I'll try falling back to Etch and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then
> there might be a driver problem- frankly the only Sun machines I've managed to
> get sound out of yet are the U10s.

I see that on the U60, unlike the U5/U10, the cs4231 is an actual
card its own small slot. Maybe it's a hardware problem, although
I doubt it.

> [Xinerama]
>
> It turns out to be easy and works well. Double up the "Screen" sections with
> different identifiers, reference both in "ServerLayout", add Option "Xinerama"
> "on", restart, and tell the panel to appear on both screens.

Thanks. I'll save this for when I get around to trying it.

Regards,

Howard E.