Re: Lenny on Ultra 60

Howard Eisenberger wrote:

>> a)  How do I get sound working?
>
> My /etc/modules looks like this on my U5/10 and my recently acquired U60:
>
>  ------------------------------------
> # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
> #
> # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
> # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
>
> loop
> #
> snd-sun-cs4231
> snd-pcm-oss
>  -----------------------------------

On a U10 with "Etch" I added the first of those manually which was enough to get sound working. Similar tinkering on the U60 hasn't had any beneficial effect: the modules are loaded but KNotify puts up a dialog(ue) saying arts can't be initialised. I've not tried forcing this into initrd but I don't think I had to do anything like that on the U10.

I'll try falling back to Etch and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then there might be a driver problem- frankly the only Sun machines I've managed to get sound out of yet are the U10s.

[Xinerama]
> Can't help here. I replaced a xvr600 (I couldn't get it to work with
> Debian) with a Creator 3D, which works fine. I do have another one,
> but haven't even tried installing it.

It turns out to be easy and works well. Double up the "Screen" sections with different identifiers, reference both in "ServerLayout", add Option "Xinerama" "on", restart, and tell the panel to appear on both screens.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk