Re: Problems installing Debian on a Sparcstation 4

Hi,

I always had problems installing Etch on an SS20, due to the ESP
problem.  The ESP module was re-written by Spot Calloway (Redhat) over
at Aurora Linux, and I managed to get that distro to install
perfectly.  The distro is RPM based and not GNU/Debian.

To get around the Etch problem, I installed Sarge and didn't apply
updates, as they broke my system.  A new update of Sarge has been
announced, but I'm yet to find an ISO.

Unfortunately you will always be fighting an uphill battle trying to
get GNU/Linux to run on sparc (32 bit), and I believe that from Lenny,
32 bit is no longer supported.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris :-(.