Re: How to use a serial console on Ultra 1?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:30:27 EST, Jordan Bettis writes:
>I tried to make one once. Took hours and then there was a short between
>some of the wires that I didn't discover until I had it all taped up.
>
>I then went to Radio Shack and found one of those nine pin dongles that
>do the same thing for $5.
>
>Radio Shack might not have them anymore but I'm sure you can find them
>on the internet for very cheap. Search for "null modem adapter."

two more things re serials on ultra 1 (and 2):
suns up to about that vintage have gender-reversed connectors
(female connector on the chassis), and you'll need a gender bender
besides your null-modem adapter.

if you're interested in making your own, here's celeste stokely's canonical
resource on sun pinouts:
<URL:http://www.sunhelp.org/unix-serial-port-resources/serial-pinouts/>

regards
az

--
+ Alexander Zangerl + DSA 42BD645D + (RSA 5B586291)
(setq wq "This is emacs, not vi") -- Ingvar