Re: Debian GNU/(k)NetBSD and sparc32 hardware?

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 08:55:23AM +0200, BERTRAND Jo?l wrote:
> 	I've never said that NetBSD does not boot, but that NetBSD is not stable
> enough to be in production state. In SMP configuration (SS or HS), I've
> never seen any stable NetBSD kernel (since 3.0) on sparc32. It randomly
> panics or hangs on all my sparc32/SMP. NetBSD 4.0 kernel has a broken SX fb
> support, and maybe my tests are not significative.

To be honest, I've had nothing but good luck with NetBSD on 32-bit SPARC
hardware. I currently have a pair of SMP systems, each with a pair of
SM61s and they're rock solid with NetBSD 3.1. There are some known issues
(particularly with SM50s in SMP configurations), but those are being worked
on as we speak.

There are active NetBSD/sparc developers (eg Michael Lorenz), so if there
are specific configurations that don't work, perhaps lend them the
necessary hardware and get the issues resolved. But this is getting
off-topic for debian-sparc...

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/