Re: Thank you for the Sun Fire v240 support!

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 11:02 -0700, Matt Weatherford wrote:
> Greetings,

<snip>
> On a similar note, we are considering getting a Sun Fire T1000 system.  I
> have read a lot about the press with
> Ubuntu/Canonical + Sun - but was wondering if anyone could comment about
> those vague "optimizations to Linux" made for the T1000,
When talking to a Sun rep. they said the next firmware version for the
T1 based machines would allow Linux to be run as a guest OS; using their
virtualisation tech (and Solaris as a host).  I don't know of any
annoucement of which distro's would be supported; the rep I spoke to
didn't seem to know.

>  if they have "made
> it" in to Etch,
Kernel support for the T1 was added in 2.6.17

>   and if I should stick with a sun fire V240 or if the T1000
> is really going to be a significantly better performing machine (as a web/db
> server) under debian Etch sparc64 SMP
If the work load is bottlenecking on memory access, is integer only and
sufficiently parallel then it should go faster.

Cheers,
 - Martin