Re: Etch installation on Sun Blade 100 - magic for /etc/silo.conf needed

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:12:08AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote: I wasn't
> sure whether I needed the full scale @PCI magic stuff that you have to
> work out at an OpenPROM prompt as the first line where it said root=

Ah, yes, it's possible to use those long device strings, but it's not
necessary, usually the first bootable disk works fine ('boot disk' from
PROM).

> Not knowing whether SILO numbered partitions from 0 or 1, I'd ended up
> with an off-by-one error _as well_ :(

I tend to get confused by that as well - I have actually come to expect 0,
which used to be completely unintuitive to me in the past...

> The OpenPROM is not immediately obvious - and not very well documented
> if you do a random Google search. Ditto silo.conf - at least when you're
> under the time pressure/pressure of "why doesn't the ###*??# thing work"
> that you put yourself under :)

Hm, I agree for OpenPROM, but for silo.conf it's different - the first hit
on google for 'silo.conf' shows the manual page, and the full example is at
the bottom of the page.

Maybe it confused you that the example is very simple, you were expecting
something overly complicated? :)

> I think I can probably write this one off to experience: don't
> do stuff without good 'Net access, don't do stuff in a relative hurry
> on a Friday afternoon - ASK THE EXPERTS _FIRST_ :)

:)

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.