Re: Etch installation on Sun Blade 100 - magic for /etc/silo.conf needed

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 10:03:30PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > The kernel stanza in silo.conf should simply have an additional:
> > 	initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.something
> >
> Can you post me a complete silo.conf so that I can see what the boot and
> root arguments should be. I'm not sure what the first line in a
> silo.conf should be: good worked examples would be appreciated.
>
> > If you don't have the file, you can generate it with update-initramfs.
> >
> Thanks for this - Jim's point about video=atyfb:off is also very useful.

I guess you want something simple, like this:

root=/dev/hda2
partition=2
default=Linux
read-only
timeout=100
append=" video=atyfb:off"

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img

The first parameter, "root", specifies the device that should be mounted as
root. It's no different from ix86, I guess. The "partition" parameter is the
number of the partition that is implied in the /some/thing paths later in
the file.

After you edit, run silo to check the configuration.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.