Re: Etch installation on Sun Blade 100 - magic for /etc/silo.conf needed

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:34:44AM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:

> I guess you want something simple, like this:
>
> root=/dev/hda2
> partition=2
> default=Linux
> read-only
> timeout=100
> append=" video=atyfb:off"
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>         label=Linux
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img
>
> The first parameter, "root", specifies the device that should be mounted as
> root. It's no different from ix86, I guess. The "partition" parameter is the
> number of the partition that is implied in the /some/thing paths later in
> the file.

Andy *hugs* Josip :) That's what I needed: I'd ended up with a
completely blank silo.conf. I wasn't sure whether I needed the
full scale @PCI magic stuff that you have to work out at an
OpenPROM prompt as the first line where it said root=
Not knowing whether SILO numbered partitions from 0 or 1, I'd ended up
with an off-by-one error _as well_ :(

The OpenPROM is not immediately obvious - and not very well documented
if you do a random Google search. Ditto silo.conf - at least when you're
under the time pressure/pressure of "why doesn't the ###*??# thing work"
that you put yourself under :)

I think I can probably write this one off to experience: don't
do stuff without good 'Net access, don't do stuff in a relative hurry
on a Friday afternoon - ASK THE EXPERTS _FIRST_ :)

> After you edit, run silo to check the configuration.

I did - and it parsed it correctly.
It looks like I'd managed to produce a grammatically correct SILO
configuration file that validated - but was wrongly phrased :(

Thanks again,

Andy