Re: Can't use all of my disk in my SS20.

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 16:13 +0100, Chris Andrew wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I have succesfully installed Etch on my SS20.  I have 2 harddrives,
> both 2.1Gb.
Given the previous problems, it might be nice (for the archives) to
explain how you did it.

> The first HDD will only let me use 200 megs of it.  I have tried all
> sorts of formatting, but it just won't let me touch most of the drive.
> When I do fdisk /dev/sdb, it just shows the two partitions that I have
> created, plus the Sun "whole disk" partition.  I still can't do
> anything with almost 2 gigs of HDD.  Can anyone tell me how I can get
> around this?
Is this a problem with disk labels?  Some partition tools require
builiding a Sun disk label which includes the number of heads,
cylinders, etc.  Some of this information is then used by Linux.  Copy
and data to the other disk, zero the start of the disk and then use
something like fdisk which (IIRC) will create a Sun disk label.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin