Re: benchmarks

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 00:38 +0100, andrew holway wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been doing some benchmarks, please make a visit to the two pages below.
>
> http://www.moopix.co.uk/bench.php - sunfire V210 2 gig ram dual 1.3
> ultrasparc IIIi (debian)
> http://www.moonet.co.uk/bench.php - celeron 1.6 512 gig ram (ubuntu)
>
> You can see that the sparc seems to be performing very badly. Would
> this be an expected result or have I made a mess of it.

That entirely depends on what you've done and how you've done it.  As
the pages contain no methodology it's impossible to give anything other
than generalities.  Doing benchmarking properly is difficult; I tend to
start by reading the section of Hennessey and Patterson relevant to what
I want to measure.

Cheers,
 - Martin