Re: Sarge on SPARCstations etc.

Right, well just to try and provide some feedback to the community about what
doesn't work rather than simply complaining about it:

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Unfortunately whatever underlies the "Detecting discs and all other hardware"
> message grinds to a halt with a flashing cursor at the bottom left of a blank
> screen... work continues but is there a trace anywhere that shows what's going
> on?

That's R5. Before that there's a message that it can't load the sunlance driver
but it still seems able to see the LAN before grinding to a halt.

R3 is unable to load any network driver.

Reverting to 3.1r0a appears to give me an error-free installation.

That's an SS20, various CPUs including 85MHz Sun and Ross 150MHz, 256 or 512Mb
memory, with or without extra ESP cards. mem=128M (as an example) locks up
during IPL.

No combination of release and hardware worked on an SS10, most recent distro
I've been able to install is RH6.1. That machine's now cannibalised so is no
longer available for testing.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk