Fwd: udev renaming interfaces fails on SunBlade100 with qfe

Sorry-- forgot to include lthe list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eric Brower <ebrower@gmail.com>
Date: Sep 15, 2006 11:39 AM
Subject: Re: udev renaming interfaces fails on SunBlade100 with qfe
To: Luigi Gangitano <luigi@debian.org>

On 9/15/06, Luigi Gangitano <luigi@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,
I'm experiencing some issues with udev at boot time. Correctly udev
tries to rename interfaces to achieve name persistance across reboots.

Sadly, I've installed a QuadriFastEthernet card on this workstation
and every single interface appears to have the same MAC address. udev
then fails badly leaving a lot of ethn_rename interfaces which are
not automatically brought up.

Since I've installed another ethernet interface that is not supported
by OpenFirmware and thus keeps it original MAC address I can
configure at least an interface to communicate with the world but
this interface does change it's name at every reboot since udev fails
to rename it along with the others interfaces.

I've tried to switch the single MAC address option in OpenFirmware
but had no luck. And udev doesn't help with other ways of identifying
the interface than MAC address.

Can somebody help, please?

Does your OBP have the "local-mac-address?" property?  If so, set it to true:

 ok> setenv local-mac-address? true

Thanks,

Regards,

--
Luigi Gangitano -- <luigi@debian.org> -- <gangitano@lugroma3.org>
GPG: 1024D/924C0C26: 12F8 9C03 89D3 DB4A 9972  C24A F19B A618 924C 0C26