Re: Sun Fire 280R - kernel config for PGX64

Hi,

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Viper446 wrote:

Hello world,

I am trying to get an "old" Sun Fire 280R running with Debian. After one
week trial and error I got the base system
installed from BusinessCard-ISO using Etch beta3 (all others did not boot).
Got the FC-AL-HDDs running with
initramfstools loading qlogicfc using the original kernel (which did not
recognize the controller on his own). Now
I am trying to build a kernel (source 2.6.16) with integrated FC-AL-Support
and some other features to maximize
stability and minimize problems.

Not sure about those issues, but beware that starting with 2.6.17 qlogicfc module is phased out, presumably its functionality is provided by the qla2xxx module. If you have a chance, it would be great if you could try a latest installer daily, available from

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer

and let us know whether the qla2xxx module actually works and hardware is properly detected.

At the moment I am really stuck with the
graphics console - I can not get a local
console running after loading the kernel from silo. There's a PGX64
(ATI-based) graphics card in this server.

What problems exactly are you facing? Did xorg automatically generate the config on your install? What driver did it use? If it's an ATI, the driver most probably has to be 'ati'. Please have a look at the page

http://wiki.debian.org/XorgOnSparc for some working xorg config examples.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org