RE: Sun Fire 280R - kernel config for PGX64

FC-AL-Support
>> and some other features to maximize
>> stability and minimize problems.
>
>Not sure about those issues, but beware that starting with 2.6.17
>qlogicfc module is phased out, presumably its functionality is
>provided by
>the qla2xxx module. If you have a chance, it would be great if
>you could
>try a latest installer daily, available from
>
>http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer
>
>and let us know whether the qla2xxx module actually works and
>hardware is
>properly detected.

Tried the daily build on Tuesday, could not get tftpboot running - do not
know why - used it some time ago successfully. Rarpd answered and started to
transfer the file, but after two timeouts the Sun said: retrying...
Checked the latest daily etch iso - did not boot due to silo mmu problem
(older silo version like 1.4.12 booting fine).

But I've tried to compile a 2.6.17 and a 2.6.16 kernel - the qla2xxx did not
recognize the fc-al-drives. Using a 2.6.16 now with built-in qlogicfc -->
works really fine. In the etch beta3 iso I have to load the qlogicfc module
manually using modprobe during the installation.

>> At the moment I am really stuck with the
>> graphics console - I can not get a local
>> console running after loading the kernel from silo. There's a PGX64
>> (ATI-based) graphics card in this server.
>
>What problems exactly are you facing? Did xorg automatically
>generate the
>config on your install? What driver did it use? If it's an
>ATI, the driver
>most probably has to be 'ati'. Please have a look at the page
>
>http://wiki.debian.org/XorgOnSparc for some working xorg
>config examples.

I am not able to get a framebuffer console running, do not really need X. I
am using the console now without any enabled framebuffer options in .config
running via prom (looks like openboot console, and it is really slow and
ugly like openboot). I tried different .config options, but without success.