Re: Please test sparc32 kernel

Hi,

Today, 10 hours, 45 minutes, 19 seconds ago, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> I've been poking the current sparc32 problems a bit, and managed to come
> up with a kernel which allowed me to dist-upgrade and install KDE (over
> 400 megs worth of packages) successfully on my SS20 machine. Basically,
> I've reverted an old cache coloring patch dating back to November 2004
> [0], which was introduced to replace a hack [1], fixing DMA problems on
> Hypersparc machines back then. I believe patch [0] might be causing
> problems, since I can't remember any kernel including it, which worked
> reliably on sparc32/Hypersparc.

As I mentioned earlier today, I was able to boot from the 2.6.16 image
that's in the Debian archive on my bi-SuperSPARC SS20.  I do not have
the "DMA error" and other esp-related issues [0] with this kernel.  I do
not have any problem either with the image you put online.

It looks like tracking regressions in the kernel is a very hard job...

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2006/04/msg00073.html