Please test sparc32 kernel

Hi,

I've been poking the current sparc32 problems a bit, and managed to come up with a kernel which allowed me to dist-upgrade and install KDE (over 400 megs worth of packages) successfully on my SS20 machine. Basically, I've reverted an old cache coloring patch dating back to November 2004 [0], which was introduced to replace a hack [1], fixing DMA problems on Hypersparc machines back then. I believe patch [0] might be causing problems, since I can't remember any kernel including it, which worked reliably on sparc32/Hypersparc.

The new 2.6.16 kernel deb is available at

http://www.wooyd.org/debian/kernels

The patch used to produce it from the linux-2.6 package (version 2.6.16-14) is available there as well. Please test it and let me know what happens. If you decide to roll your own kernel using the patch, please do *not* use the sparc32 SMP patch (or disable SMP), so that we can have a clear understanding of what kind of problems this patch solves (or does not :-).

[0] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-sparc&m=110066231423168&w=2
[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-sparc&m=110005632921213&w=2

Thanks,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org