Re: Xorg 7 I/O issues on sparc64

Hi,

6 days, 15 hours, 54 minutes, 17 seconds ago,
Martin Marques wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 11:40:43 +0200, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@chbouib.org> wrote:
> > I had reported some time ago problems running Xorg 7.0 on an Ultra 5 with
> > the ATI driver, including apparent file system corruption problems,
> > kernel crashes, etc. [0].  I tried out Xorg 7.1 with the 2.6.18-1 kernel
> > package recently and noticed that nothing had changed.  However, I
> > finally decided to remove that SunPCi board that sitted in my U5 (and was
> > useless anyway, due to the lack of free drivers) and noticed that doing
> > so made Xorg start and work flawlessly!
>
> Is the SunPCI board the PCI Bridge? I have on of those in my U5 and last time
> I tried Xorg 7 it corrupted my disk, leaving me no other option but to reinstall.

I don't clearly understand what you mean.  In any case, the output of
`lspci' here is the same as yours (once the SunPCi board has been
removed), except for the SCSI controller which I don't have (see below).

In the meantime, I found bug #384450 [0] which addresses this very
issue:

  The bug is that the Xorg PCI drivers fail to properly decode the I/O
  port ranges for any PCI cards (not just video cards) having I/O ports
  that have start or end+1 addresses that aren't 16-byte aligned.

  [...]

  Practically-speaking, the result is that adding unrelated, otherwise
  perfectly Linux-compatible hardware can make accelerated X completely
  non-functional.

The proposed patch should have been part of Xorg 7.1 but that doesn't
seem to be the case.  If no Xorg release occurs by the time Etch is
released, then perhaps it should be applied to the Debian package?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

`lspci' output follows:

  00:00.0 Host bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Ultra IIi
  00:01.0 PCI bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Simba Advanced PCI Bridge (rev 13)
  00:01.1 PCI bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Simba Advanced PCI Bridge (rev 13)
  01:01.0 Bridge: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. EBUS (rev 01)
  01:01.1 Ethernet controller: Sun Microsystems Computer Corp. Happy Meal (rev 01)
  01:02.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP (rev 5c)
  01:03.0 IDE interface: Silicon Image, Inc. PCI0646 (rev 03)