Re: Booting "Etch" on older hardware

Chris Newport wrote:

> I did some work on 2.4, so late versions should run in UP mode.
> SMP was still broken but bootable with kbd&mouse, serial console broken.
> The FC stuff is broken since the 2.2 to 2.4 transition, so you will have
> to use SCSI disks.
>
> It should work just fine on Solaris 8 or earlier.

Out of curiousity I've just tried booting Etch (i.e. 2.6) on my workroom sun4d
with the nosmp parameter and it still reports "No cpu nodes, cannot continue".
I'm doing a net boot sith a serial console but I don't see why that should
affect things at this stage.

If I do anything at all I'll try progressing through 2.3 and see if there's a
"sweet spot" where the SMP scheduler works properly (rather than sticking almost
everything on CPU0) and the FC stuff still works.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk