RE: Etch beta 2 now working on Sunfire V240 with vanilla 2.6.16 compiled from source
The final instalment in my monologue (for now):
OK, if you follow my previous instructions on booting the Netinst CD and
chrooting into the installed Debian environment, you can then download,
compile and install the vanilla 2.6.16 kernel, and it works.
It seems that the Debian-patched 2.6.15 kernel doesn't like the V240 and
As you can imagine, I'm a very happy chappy!
Rules of thumb:
1. Install a PCI NIC that is known to work on Sparc Linux (i.e. 3Com
3C59x or similar)
2. Install from Debian Etch beta
3. Partition so that your 1st partition is ext2 for /boot, and fully
resident within the first 1 GB of the disk. Create other partitions for
swap, / etc.
4. Allow the installation to complete and reboot from the hard disk.
At this point the system will hang on rebooting into the new Linux
environment - 'Switching root ....'
5. Boot the Etch CD again and type Rescue at the Silo boot prompt.
6. Drop out of the installer to the ash shell (select Go Back then
choose the shell option from the Debian installer menu)
7. Mount all filesystems and chroot into the new system (partitions
below are for my system, yours may vary):
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/usr
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/var
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
8. Mount your pseudo filesystems and bring up your network interfaces:
ifconfig lo up
ifconfig eth0 netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.64
route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.254
9. You should now be able to use apt-get to get ncurses-dev which
you'll need if you want to 'make menuconfig'
10. You can now use wget to download and compile a new kernel from the
kernel sources, then copy the binary to /boot and add an entry to
11. Reboot into Linux/Sparc joy!
If anyone would like assistance getting Debian working on a V240 (or
similar), email me.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
This email has been scanned for all viruses by the FFastFill Email