Re: Re: X on Ultra 10 w/Elite 3D (afbinit, XFre86)

I think someone new to Linux on Sun might have use of this.
I will try to summrize what I did to make X working on my U10 w/ Elite 3D:

1a) Download afbinit package from:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/contrib/a/afbinit/afbinit_1.0-1_sparc.deb

1b) Install it with follwoing command:
dpkg -i afbinit_1.0-1_sparc.deb

2a) Download 106144-28.zip patch file from Sun's website and extract only "abf.ucode" file from it.
2b) Place the abf.ucode file into /usr/lib folder.

3) Setting up the resolution. I was "locked" into 1152x900 regardless of what I set in XF86Config-4. I later that OPB command can be used to change the defaut resolution. During the boot press Stop-A to get the OK prompt, then type:
setenv output-device screen:r1024x768x70

NOTE: I used autopartitoning with option that all partitions are together mountet as /. When I tried "multiuser" partitioning scheme, the above installation did not work. I speculate that afbinit cannot find /usr/lib/afb.ucode doring the booting. I did not troubleshoot this, I simply reinstalled everything under one partition /. And it works again.