Re: SS20, netboot, and SCSI drive detection

Hi.

The SS20 is the latest 32bit Sparc workstation - max. 2 CPU modules, up to 4
CPUs. No PCI, it's SBUS based.

On Saturday 07 January 2006 16:44, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 07 January 2006 16:29, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > I'm having troubles with the netboot images on an SS20.  Basically,
> > none of those that I've tried seem to detect at boot time the SCSI hard
> > drive that's in the machine (a look at the output of `dmesg' makes me
> > think so), although a `probe-scsi' at the OB prompt does show it.
>
> During the installation hard disks are not necessarily detected at boot
> time, but may be detected later during the different hardware detection
> phases.
>
> Some basic questions:
> - is the scsi controller on pci or sbus
> - if on pci, what is the output from 'lspci' and 'lspci -n'
> - if on sbus, what is the output of prtconf
> - what kernel driver module is needed for the scsi controller
> - does the scsi disk get recognized if you modprobe that module manually

Up to now, I did all my SS20 installations via external SCSI CDROM. I
recently bougth an SS20 with two 150 MHz CPUs. I did not install Debian yet.
Still on my to-do-list.

If you still have trouble: which bootimage (URL)? I can try to check it for
you. I have a local netboot-server which works fine with Sun Ultra and SGI
Indy. I think I'll be able to add Sun32 support.

Regards,

   Hartwig