Re: PROM update with linux

Am Donnerstag, 10. November 2005 17:37 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:
> I got OBP-3.31 (currently, OBP-3.11 is installed) but do not quite know how
> to proceed. There is no Solaris installed and I doubt that the OBP can read
> Ext3.
> Can I refer to the update file directly from SILO?
> I have an empty hard drive, how can I format it so that it's suitable for
> an OBP upgrade?

To clearify where I found the PROM:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/search/advsearch.do?collection=PATCH&type=collections&queryKey5=106455&toDocument=yes

It is a tar.Z file, GNU tar can handle it after installing the ncompress
package.

$ file flash-update-Ultra60-09
flash-update-Ultra60-09: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS, V8+ Required,
version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

Is ELF directly bootable? Would be new to me.

Note: I cannot install any DHCP or TFTP in that network, so net boot is not an
option.

HS