Re: PROM update with linux

Hi Hendrik,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 05:37:32PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got OBP-3.31 (currently, OBP-3.11 is installed) but do not quite know how to
> proceed. There is no Solaris installed and I doubt that the OBP can read
> Ext3.
> Can I refer to the update file directly from SILO?
> I have an empty hard drive, how can I format it so that it's suitable for an
> OBP upgrade?

There were some threads about this topic on this list. Since I did never
try the stuff myself, I only post the starting links so you can read the
relevant part yourself:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/06/msg00012.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2005/02/msg00108.html

The summary is to unpack the executable from the sun-provided file
(using shar) and netboot it.

HTH,

Wolfi