Re: Low latency sparc64 kernels ?

On 06/13/05 11:55:55PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 14:36 -0700, foo_bar_baz_boo-deb@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Premeptibility patching is broken on Sparc.
> > ReiserFS is broken on Sparc.
> Broken as in "doesn't work at all", "doesn't work fast" or "occasionally
> causes major corruption and eats all of your data".  I have a sarge
> machine running / on reiserfs and it seems to work - can you provide any
> more pointers on this as I was just about to move some important data on
> to it.

A while ago, not sure how many months it was, I had a reiserfs partition
get partially corrupted from an unclean shutdown and the only evidence was
that the box would oops and blank the screen when syslogd started. I had to
hook up a serial console to even see the oops, I assume reiserfs was
overwriting something in memory causing the display corruption. Mounting it
said it was clean, reiserfsck said it was clean and yet it still hung when
syslogd started. F'd with it a little more, figured out which file it was,
deleted it, tar'd up /var and moved it to XFS and haven't had a problem
since.

Every time I figure it must have matured and give reiserfs a try it bites
me in the ass. IMO XFS is much more mature and the userland tools are much,
much better.

> Cheers,
>  - Martin

Jim.