Re: Problem with /tmp d-i BUG?

Joey Hess schrieb:
Uwe A. P. Wuerdinger wrote:

After my succesfull install of sarge on a Balde 100 I doscoverd
that the permissions for /tmp are wrong.

It should be drwxrwxrwx but it is drwxr-xr-x also
the partition recipe of d-i created a seperated tmp partition
/dev/hda7 there was no ext3 filesystem created on it

The only automatic partitioning recipe that creates a /tmp partition is
the multi-user one, which is not the default. Did you choose that one?

Sorry that I've forgotten to provide that bit of info, yes that's what I used

I know of nothing in the installer that would cause that partition not
to be formatted.

Well shor after I discovered that problem the disk died.
Got a new one and currently reinstalling it.

I'll try out som LVM things

and /dev/shm tmpfs was mounte on the /tmp moint point anyway.

Sorry, but I don't understand this sentence; /dev/shm is a mount point
that has a tmpfs filesystem mounted on it. I don't know how a mount
point could be mounted on /tmp.

Sorry again /tmp wasn't mounted and I kinda blamed it on tmpfs but
now I think the dieing disk was to blame for that.

looks like that tmpfs behavier is triggered by the existence of the /etc/default/tmpfs file putet there by the initscripts package.

Nothing in initscripts mounts a tmpfs on /tmp. /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs
mounts a tmpfs on /dev/shm, it always does this no matter what the
content of /etc/default/tmpfs is.

Yes just figured that out myself after I got some sleep.
My brain wasn't working very well last night.

I think you need to do more investigation or give a clearer explantation
of your problem.

And on other thing mkfs -t fstype gives only a not found.

What fstype?

ext2 and ext3 haven't tried anything else but that was most likely
the disk as well. I'll know for sure in the next hour and write a follow up to this mail.

greets Uwe
--
Jetzt will man das Internet nicht einfach ein paar Leuten wie der IETF
überlassen, die wissen, was sie tun. Es ist zu wichtig geworden. - Scott Bradner