Re: Help with hardware choices

David S. Miller wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:51:29 -0600
>Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
>

>>Dale Scheetz wrote: (snippage throughout)
>>

>>>I have been tasked with picking the hardware, and my feeling is that
>>>SPARC offers the best bang for the buck.
>>>

>>Let me preface this by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, but
>>if it were me, I'd at least take a look at the Mac-mini (this site is
>>doing web hosting on Minis -
>>http://www.xrackhosting.com/machine.php?pid=dedicated_hosting) and/or
>>the Xserve if you need that much horsepower.
>>

>One thing is for sure, SPARC is definitely not the best bang for
>the buck.
>
>Case in point, I just dropped $2600.00USD on a new SunBlade1500 with 1.5GHZ
>cpus and 1GB of ram.  I know that for around $700.00USD in parts you can put
>together your own Opteron system which is twice as powerful.
>
>The SunBlade sucks twice as much power and is twice as loud as the Opteron
>as well.  The SPARC machines only makes sense for people deeply interested
>in Sparc already, such as myself. :-)

I do not know what you're talking about.  Sparcs use considerably less
power, run cooler, last longer, are more stable and are comparable with
speed.  Don't confuse clock cycles with speed either.  Also, I don't
know how you'd ever build a box for 700 bucks running scsi.  All I'm
saying is that you're not comparing apples to apples.  I've got an old
sparcstation 20 with a 60Mhz proc, that performs just as well as my
Pentium200 for network routing.  And I know for a fact it uses less power.
Brandon