Help with hardware choices

For the past several years I have been working for the Florida
Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs. We make grants to
Florida Arts organizations and some small stipends to Individual
Artists.

I am currently building a new database for the Division. It is web
based Apache/php4/postgreSQL software that will allow Individuals and
Organizations to view and update their personal information as well as
view the status of their various grants and provide staff with
view/edit screens to access the complete data set.

The machine I am doing the development on is a crumby slow Gateway
machine, and we new from the start that this would not be our server.

I have been tasked with picking the hardware, and my feeling is that
SPARC offers the best bang for the buck. I have been pointed at two
different lines of machines by a Systems Engineer for Sun here in
Tallahassee, but I was hoping that you guys would have a better idea
of what I can expect from these machines.

Obviously it must run the Debian SPARC port, and while the Sun webpage
lists Linux as a supported OS, they reference things like Red Hat
Enterprise, which doesn't make it clear whether Debian is supported.
(I mean to have a talk with them about that as well ;-)

So, after that long-winded introduction, we get to my question:

The machines I've been looking at are the Xeon V65X and the Ultra
V210, V240, and possibly th;e v490.

My question is: Which of these machines would best serve my needs as a
web server/SQL server, and are there any other machines that would
suite my needs better.

Obviously the more horsepower the better, but I'm also on a budget of
7 to 10 thousand dollars, so the quad Xeon (at $20,000) is probably
out of the question.

My feeling is that the SPARC is the machine I want, but my only basis
for this decission is that I own one (BTW what ever happend to Kachina
Tech?).

All suggestions greatfully accepted.

Please CC me as I am not subscribed to this list.

Waiting is,

Dwarf