Re: New 2.4.27-2 kernel and d-i images available for sparc - testers wanted

Hi Matt,

I am reading about your Ultra 10 problem and must admit that I find it
surprising, as my Ultra 10 worked right in 2.4.xx and 2.6.xx, all the
way up to 2.6.10

The problem I'm having is I can't get the Sarge netinst CD to boot.
I can't remember off the top of my head what kernel image they're using in the Sarge Netinst cds...

In previous emails, I may not have prematurely chopped off a few lines before.
I'm not sitting near my sparc at the moment (it's at work, and it's Sunday now)...
But one of the lines, I vaguely recall being something like:

  RAMDISK: Unable to locate valid ramdisk image at location 0

This line was before the initrd freeing line...

Hope this clears the issue up a little.

While I'd hardly consider myself an expert on any of these issues, I'm willing to take a stab (please don't hurt me)...
I feel that the problem could be caused by one of two things...
1. SILO is loading the image into location X, and the kernel is looking in the wrong place for it.
2.  The initrd image is actually invalid....

On Friday afternoon (Australian EST), I managed to get it installed using a Woody CD (650 mb just to use the installer.... what a shame...). It's running the 2.4.18 kernel, and i've dist-upgraded it to Unstable without any issues (still the 'bf24' 2.4.18 kernel though.. Haven't been game enough to try and compile a new kernel).

It would be interesting to try the following--
a) The Sarge initrd image with the Woody boot loader/kernel/config/whatever...
b) Vice versa (Woody initrd on Sarge boot loader)

Perhaps this would help to pinpoint where the problem lies?
I would be happy to try any ~30-40 MB business card image you can throw at me...

On a side note; I tried the Ubuntu Sparc pre-port. It doesn't even get past SILO... (I press Enter, and it tries to load the kernel then dies with some MMU error back to an OpenFirmware prompt).

Cheers,
Peter