Re: New 2.4.27-2 kernel and d-i images available for sparc - testers wanted

Jurij Smakov wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Matthew Fischer wrote:

    I am still seeing the same problems as usual on my Sunblade 100.

    linux -p
    Warning: unable to open initial console.
    Unimplemented SPARC system call 188.
    Unimplemented SPARC system call 188.
    Kernel panic: attempted to kill init.

Hi Matthew,

Have you ever filed any bug about this (I do not recall seeing one)? If yes, please point me to it. What image are you using, where was it downloaded from? Is the "Kernel panic" line the only error line you receive? If you can capture the complete boot output using serial console, that would be very helpful.

Juri,

I have not filed any defect. I was able to get a bit further by removing the add-in VGA card and using the on-board VGA. Here is my saga (and its been a saga):

1) Tried to boot various CDs, ran into an OBP issue.  Upgraded OBP via lan.
2) Tried to boot the CDs again, ran into these console issues. Removed the add-in VGA card. 3) Tried to boot the CDs again, the USB drivers failed so the keyboard didnt work, switched to serial console. 4) Tried to boot CDs again, ISO filesystem was not mountable, switched to netboot. 5) Tried various netboots, all seemed to lack the ide-generic driver, so my hard drive (and cdrom) were not found.

   This is where I am currently, and is the subject of another thread.

Thanks for making these images, and perhaps one day I will get an install to succeed.