Re: sparc buildd issues [Re: Release candidate architecture requalification results; amd64 is RC]

I hadn't seen that, thanks. That sunsolve issue is kind of light on the details, but it implies a random drift of a few seconds. The symptoms I see are a sudden forward jump of exactly 3d 6:11:15. Every time it happened I saw exactly the same jump, after which some programs continue running while others hang.

I had a limited ability to track it. The first hang point while trying to log in following the time jump was when running "id -u" in /etc/profile. I determined this by bracketing each section of /etc/profile with echos.

I tried leaving a terminal live and logged in once, but "ps auxww" hung as well. Bind, klog and syslog at least continue running. I suppose the next trick would be to wait for a hang and run them with strace to see which call hangs, but at that point I tried going back to kernel 2.6.8.2. Its been running smoothly since. Whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem to affect 2.6.8.2 .

Regards,
Bill Herrin

On 12/27/05, Alexander Zangerl <az@snafu.priv.at > wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 13:04:50 EST, William Herrin writes:
>On a Sparc netra X1, the system partially freezes (some stuff continues
>running but at least one of the operations necessary to log in gets stuck).
>The logs show that as of the moment of the freeze, the clock has jumped
>forward exactly 3 days, 6 hours,
>11 minutes and 15 seconds. The change is not gradual; it jumps between
>syslog marks set a minute apart.

i'm pretty sure you've seen
<URL:http://sunsolve.sun.com/searchproxy/document.do?assetkey=1-26-49016-1 >
where sun says "no workaround"...apparently it's a chip issue that needs
to be worked around in the kernel. bah.

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin@dirtside.com   bill@herrin.us
3005 Crane Dr.                        Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>