Re: Updating Openboot PROM

Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 21:53 schrieb Thorsten Richter:
> > It worked fine on an Ultra60.
>
> nope,
>
> i bought me an U60 from ebay last month.
> i had an U2 too. there was no problem to flash the U2 via network, but
> the U60 terminated with the "MMU..." i think about an memory failure on
> the U60 because the MMU failure seems to me like an memory adress.
> so i remove the memory from the U60 and put 4 modules from the U2 into it.
> after that the flash procedure works fine!
>
> but a friend of mine with the same problem on his U60 ... we change the
> memory modules with the working U2 ones ... the MMU failure still happend!
>
> i guess this could be an error on the logic board or something...
> (i'm not really into the hardware of the Ultras...)

Then I was probably lucky ;)

However, the reason for the update was to use two 450MHz modules from an
Ultra80 that didn't want to go online anymore. However, all four modules did
not work (means: take the two 350 out and put the two 450 in).
To make it worse, the RAM from the Ultra80 is to high for the Utra60 (damn
power supply).
So the only useful things from the Ultra80 were a SCA harddrive and a Raptor
framebuffer PCI card with VGA out (but Elite3D with 13W3->VGA already works).
:-/

HS