Re: Updating Openboot PROM

Am Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 19:45 schrieb Ulrich Teichert:
> >works perfectly and starts downloading the byte stream but at a
> >certain poin it stops donwloading and it prints:
> >
> >"Fast Instruction Access MMU Miss"
> >
> >so the flash update isn't started.
>
> Yeah, I had the same problem with my Ultra-2.

It worked fine on an Ultra60.

> >What does it mean? How can I avoid this error?
>
> I have no idea what it really means. I only came around that point
> by installing Solaris on a scratch disk, booting it, copying the
> patch on that disk and booted it from there. It really needs
> the filesystem, it seems.

Mine didn't but there may be many different firmware upgrade softwares from
SUN. In addition, where can I download Solaris (8 or 9 or 10) without the
Sol10-Registration-Pain: too many detailed questions and a license that I
simply did not understand as english is not my first language.

> However, quite some time after that, somebody suggested that booting
> the patch over silo could have been possible. If you'll try that out,
> I would be interested in the results,

I tried that before setting up a second computer for network boot but it did
not work. Maybe due to the fact that SILO cannot really start a Solaris
kernel itself.

HS