Re: External SCSI disks with SS20

Hi.

Thanks for your answer.

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 20:07, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:59:47PM +0200, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
> > Regarding Solaris: In my opinion the default boot disk for Solaris is
> > SCSI ID 3. I could not check today, as far as I remember I can plug an
> > additional SCSI disk with ID 0 to a Solaris machine (Ultra 2) without
> > problems. With Linux, this doesn't work.
>
> You're actually referring to two separate issues. By default, OpenBoot
> boots from SCSI ID 3 (you can change this quite easily).

Hmm. I know that I can change the OpenBoot setting. But I don't like this
idea. "Here comes a new opsys for that machine - to make it work propperly,
we are going to change the defaults" - grrr.

> Unlike Linux (unless you use something like udev), Solaris refers to SCSI
> disks by their location on the bus, eg c0t0d0s1 for controller 0, target 0,
> disk 0, slice 1. By default, the Linux kernel names SCSI disks sda, sdb,
> etc based on the order it finds them (typically in the order of their SCSI
> IDs). In the case where you add another disk with a lower SCSI ID than your
> existing disk(s), the existing disk(s) will all "shift down" (sda will
> becoming sdb, etc). If you use udev to manage your devices, Linux will do
> something similar to Solaris.
>
> Hope that makes sense :)

That clarifies some things.

About udev: Kernel 2.6, right? On my SS20 I am still running Woody, kernel
2.4.x. To compile a 2.6 kernel I need Sarge ( because of the gcc version ),
right? Does Sarge run on my SS20 - no idea. Does kernel 2.6 run on my SS20 -
no idea. Did not go into that yet. But this might be a new thread ...

Regards,

   Hartwig