Re: External SCSI disks with SS20

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 09:59:47PM +0200, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
> Regarding Solaris: In my opinion the default boot disk for Solaris is
> SCSI ID 3. I could not check today, as far as I remember I can plug an
> additional SCSI disk with ID 0 to a Solaris machine (Ultra 2) without
> problems. With Linux, this doesn't work.

You're actually referring to two separate issues. By default, OpenBoot
boots from SCSI ID 3 (you can change this quite easily).

Unlike Linux (unless you use something like udev), Solaris refers to SCSI
disks by their location on the bus, eg c0t0d0s1 for controller 0, target 0,
disk 0, slice 1. By default, the Linux kernel names SCSI disks sda, sdb,
etc based on the order it finds them (typically in the order of their SCSI
IDs). In the case where you add another disk with a lower SCSI ID than your
existing disk(s), the existing disk(s) will all "shift down" (sda will
becoming sdb, etc). If you use udev to manage your devices, Linux will do
something similar to Solaris.

Hope that makes sense :)

-mj
--