Software raid on Ultra 2

Hi,

I am trying to set up an Ultra 2 with s/ware raid 0 with the intent to
set LVM on the top .  I know that LVM supports stripping itself, but I
would like to do it this way anyway.

The machine is a dual Ultra 2 (2x 296MHz/2MB) with 1536MB RAM and 2x
internal SCSI 9.1GB HDDs (and SCSI CDROM).  I am netbooting 'Sarge'
2.6 current installer for sparc64. It seems to find all devices ok,
and I can access my hdds from
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target[01]/lun0/disc.

I am trying to set up both hdds with a 50MB partition at the start of
the disk (will be the /boot on the first disk, and probably unused on
the second) and the remainder of the disk as partition for riad (Type
0xfd iirc).

When I use the installer (both in normal and expert mode), I cannot
find an option to set the partition for use with raid (can find
options for various filesystems, and lvm, just not for raid).  Then
when I go to set up Software Raid (from the installer), it claims I
have no devices of the right type (obviously).

I have tried setting up the hdds in fdisk which seems to work ok (as
in they are of the right size and type), but again the installer fails
to detect them.

I have dd'd the first 64MB of both partitions from /dev/zero to make
sure that there is no detectable filesystem on either partiton.

Is this me missing something, or something lacking from the installer?

Thanks

--
Tom Taylor

resudaed@gmail.com