Re: Deb on Sparc Station 5

John Bowden wrote:

> SCSI is an internal one. I tried plugging it in but being new to this
> architecture I don't know how to tell it to look look for the CD ROM.
> I have 16 of these machines coming. Got 1 to play with at the moment but it
> won't finish booting. Stops while it looks for an ip from dns server. From
> what I have been told they used to belong to Wolverhampton university. I
> figured it would be easier to load a new OS. I decided on Deb as they do an
> Intel version that I could load onto one of my other machines to get used to
> how Deb does things.

Provided that it stops at an OpenPROM prompt you should be able to type "boot
cdrom". You should be able to force it to the prompt by holding the STOP and A
keys during startup. There's an adequate help command.

> When I go into the open boot it asks for a password.

In that case you've got problems. Google for other people's solution to this,
but as I said if you can find one that works you'll be able to copy the NVRAM-
it's a standard Timekeeper RAM.

> I would like to use some of the spare monitors on my Intel boxes as they won't
> be used on the SS5's

Many of the available adapters aren't fully wired, e.g. I've got one like that
from RS Components.

> I have got keyboards and mice for all the SS5's

Which quite frankly are probably worth more than the SSes.

> Do you think it might be better to rob the memory out of half the boxes and
> use in the other half. When I turn on all my network the local power station
> has to fire up another generater to keep up ;-)

Possibly, but these machines are CPU-challenged and adding memory won't fix
that.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk