Re: Problems with an Ultra 5

I will give it a try if STOP + A, and serial console gives me nothing when I try tonight.

Tyler.

Robert Wolfe, OpenSource Solutions wrote:
On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:44:19 -0700
Tyler <pml@dtbb.net> wrote:

I'm trying to set up an Ultra 5 that I purchased last year, but am having problems getting anything out of it. I've hooked it up to power, network, video and sun type 6 keyboard/mouse (not usb). I've then turned it on, a few seconds goes by with the monitor not doing anything, then, the monitor gets a signal, and comes out of power save mode, but this only lasts 5 or 10 seconds, before it goes back to power save mode (no signal) (and never gets a signal again), so this isn't long enough to see anything on the screen because the screen isn't on long enough (doesn't warm up) to actually see the image.

The system sounds like its doing something still, as the 8.4gb IDE hard drive chugs away for 30 seconds to a minute, before becoming quiet again. At this point.. I don't know what (if anything) I can do .. without rebooting it again (is there a key combo for rebooting?). I've tried turning it on with a debian sarge net install bootable CD, and a solaris 9 install cd, both do the same thing as above.

At this point, I'm looking for help (documentation) on setting up, and troubleshooting an ultra5/10 system, lists of key combinations that may help me (I've read that STOP + A during power on may get me to the OBP open boot prompt, however, I haven't had the chance to try this option yet, and am not really sure what settings may need changing once i'm there, to stop the video from disabling itself, or whatever its doing).

You might want to try a monitor that supports a higher resolution.  I had this same problem when I first got my Ultra 5.  I placed a KDS X-Flat monitor and it works great.