Re: Between a rock & a hard place, need monolithic 2.4.2x kernel for sun4m

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:53:14 +0200
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 01:45, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> > This means that an extremely small number of machines are affected.
> > Those are not particularly common boxes. It should be possible to
> > detect via /proc/cpuinfo if the 601 is installed.
>
> Nope. You skipped a para:
> "Technically only some sun4m chips are affected, but as glibc can't
> reliably detect whether a system is affected it will refuse to be
> upgraded on any 32bit SPARC system before a fixed kernel is installed."

   The RT601 they're referring to is actually a Sparc v7 chip, and as such
is not supported by Sarge in the first place.

   It's the same chip they used in the SS2.

   I have sincere doubts whether there are more than a handfull of
supported configurations that actually need this fix, if any at all.