Re: An (flamebait ?) idea to preserve debian on sparc32...

2005-07-27, sze keltezéssel 15.28-kor Romain Dolbeau ezt írta:
> mag <mag@bunuel.tii.matav.hu> wrote:
>
> > I am free software fundamentalist, so using BSD licenced code is only
> > marginally acceptable for me.
>
> And some will argue that the GPL, by prohibiting some forms of use, is
> more restrictive and therefore less free than the BSD. Which would turn
> this discussion into a genuine flamefest we all already have seen a
> thousand times, so let's stop it before it get out of hands, shall we ?
> :-)

I give the end of discussion here for referential purposes:)
--------------
>>>!%^@&#*!
>>fsck
>du of=/dev/null
vi .procmailrc
---------------

> > Also, I think this solution have greater support burden than the linux
> > kernel way,

> The point is, most of the work is already under way in the Debian NetBSD
> port on i386 and alpha.

> Also, if no one is able to keep the linux kernel running on sparc32, the
> manpower to port to a different kernel may still be available, as it
> requires a different set of skills.

Two points might worth considering.

But I would rather keep applying the essential security patches to the
one or two important packages, and keep running in an aged,
unupgreadable pile of dust than use NetBSD,by religional motives. And
anyway, using an appropriately old distrib in an old machine comes with
the benefit of lesser resource usage.