Re: An (flamebait ?) idea to preserve debian on sparc32...

mag <mag@bunuel.tii.matav.hu> wrote:

> I am free software fundamentalist, so using BSD licenced code is only
> marginally acceptable for me.

And some will argue that the GPL, by prohibiting some forms of use, is
more restrictive and therefore less free than the BSD. Which would turn
this discussion into a genuine flamefest we all already have seen a
thousand times, so let's stop it before it get out of hands, shall we ?
:-)

> Also, I think this solution have greater support burden than the linux
> kernel way, where only some packages need special attention, one of them
> is the kernel which I am used to custom-build anyway. You would need to
> maintain buildd, cope with bugs in the all the user space related to
> bsdisms, maintain special packages, etc.

The point is, most of the work is already under way in the Debian NetBSD
port on i386 and alpha. They're far from finished yet, but they probably
have encountered (ans hopefully solved) most of the problems in packages
closely related to the kernel.

Also, if no one is able to keep the linux kernel running on sparc32, the
manpower to port to a different kernel may still be available, as it
requires a different set of skills.

Anyway, it was just an idea to provoque discussion ; It'd probably
better for everyone if the sparc32 port could be made to last for the
next fifty years or so :-)

> I hope the above did not flame;)

The flicker of a lighter in the first paragraph, maybe ;-)

--
Romain Dolbeau
<romain@dolbeau.org>