2.6.12 testers wanted

Hi,

The kernel team is currently preparing the release of kernel 2.6.12. I have been testing the new release on sparc, with some mixed results.

For sparc64 everything seems to look good, the kernel boots fine on my testing machine(s) and appears to function properly. I've received a report of it not booting on Netra X1, however the person who reported it have come up with a working kernel config. This config differs a bit from the one used in official kernels, so I hope that we'll be able to find the problem fairly soon. Note that tg3 driver has been readded to 2.6.12 Debian kernel source.

On sparc32 things do not look good at all. First, all attempts to boot an initrd-enabled kernel have failed miserably, with kernel failing to mount initrd and subsequently panicking. Few days ago I have disabled initrd support and finally managed to get kernel to boot on my SS10 with HyperSparc CPU. Unfortunately, it appears to occasionally corrupt the filesystem under heavy memory/disk activity (such as sarge to sid upgrade). So, at this moment I am not sure whether it makes sense to build the sparc32 debs for 2.6.12 at all, as the kernel is pretty badly broken. It might be though, that the issues are specific to the Hypersparc CPU, so the images might work fine for others.

In order to make a more informed decision about sparc32 and make sure that everything is fine on sparc64, it would be great if the preliminary debs would receive testing on a wider variety of hardware. Note, that testing the sparc32 image may COMPLETELY BREAK your system, so backup the data on the machine, if it is of any value. Even though there are currently now known issues on sparc64, backing up important stuff is always useful when testing the new kernels. The kernel images are available at

http://www.wooyd.org/debian/kernels/2.6/

Please report your experiences either by replying to this thread, or to the SparcKernelStatus wiki page at

http://wiki.debian.net/?SparcKernelStatus

Thanks for your cooperation,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org

P.S. Don't be alarmed by the fact that the packages are called linux-image now, instead of kernel-image. This renaming is part of the transition to a common kernel packaging scheme, in which all the kernel debs are built from the same source package.