Re: tg3 driver fails

Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> writes:

> I have built a sparc64 kernel package using the source package from
> the Debian kernel svn repository (revision 3426). It should contain a
> working tg3 driver module and, as DaveM pointed out, you might have
> better luck with it on your machine. You can grab it from

Thanks but, as I either said here or put in the install report, I
couldn't get to the stage of installing a new kernel because the
system wouldn't reboot after the initial installation phase:

  Loaded kernel version 2.6.8

  Remapping the kernel...      ERROR: Last Trap: Fast Instruction Access MMU Miss

  Error -256

However, I've found that I can then get it going by using `reset' in
ALOM (not reset-all in OBP), so I have actually had it running.  It's
not clear what gets it in that state since I could do a reboot
successfully from the fully-installed system.  The OBP version doesn't
seem to be the problem.  I upgraded from the original 4.0.something (I
think), and tried the latest and the older one in the patch.  There
seems to be a fundamental problem here.

I can't test the new kernel just at the moment, but I wouldn't care
too much about the networking since I have an hme card to use.