v210 installation [was Re: tg3 driver fails]

Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org> writes:

> Yes, this is a known problem.

Is there any possibility of documenting it, then?  I think it would be
better to leave the driver out rather than (on a 2.6 kernel) appear to
have set it up and leave you wondering what's wrong with the network.

> I am afraid that the only feasible solution for Sarge kernels is to
> rebuild your kernel (or, at least, the tg3 module) using the
> pristine kernel source from kernel.org.

If I did that, how would I install it?  Anyway, is there any
indication it will work in view of the below?

Meanwhile, I've found a card with an hme interface and done an install
with that.  On the reboot after the initial install on a disk with
Solaris on for dual boot, it boots Solaris, not silo, which then
reports that the disk label is screwed.

Starting again with a freshly-partitioned disk, sigh, the reboot fails
with

  VFS: Disk quotas vdquot_6.5.1

  Fatal Error Reset
  CPU 0000.0000.0000.0000 AFSR 0210.9000.0000.0000 JETO PRIV OM TO
  AFAR 0000.0760.2e00.4a00

With either a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel.

It looks about time to give up on this.